In the Philippines, we called the egg rolls “Lumpiang Shanghai”. It is a deep fried appetizer consisting ground meat ( pork, beef, or turkey – depends on you ). The main stuffing is the ground meat, added with chopped onions, carrots and chopped garlic if you want, salt and pepper. Once cooked, it is commonly served with sweet and sour sauce. It’s yummy!
2 lbs ground beef or pork
1 large onion finely chopped
1 large carrot peeled and shredded
1 cup parsley chopped
Minced garlic ( the amount you will add depends on your preference )
Spring Roll wrapper / lumpia wrapper
Salt ( for tasting )
Pepper ( depends on your preference )
2 tbsp soy sauce
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Lay out the wrapper in a diamond shape. Place 2 tbsp of the mixtured filling over a piece of spring roll wrapper / lumpia wrapper.
- Spread the filling then fold both sides of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper towards the top point. Seal it with a little water rub on the tip point of the wrapper.
HOW TO COOK:
- Heat a frying pan and add vegetable oil ( you can use canola oil if you want ). Make sure the oil is about 350 degrees.
- Add egg roll / lumpia rolls and let it cook until it’s golden brown.
- Place the cook egg rolls / lumpia rolls on your prepared dish and let it cool a little bit. Serve it with the sweet and sour sauce.